Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Lagos Police Command Arrests Suspected Vandals In Connection With Vandalism Of Coastal Road, Third Mainland Bridge
    • Ocean Surge Disaster: 20 Ilaje Communities Threaten 2027 Election Boycott Over Government Neglect
    • Coalition Demands Immediate Visa Ban On Fadahunsi, Other Alleged Inciters Ahead Of Osun Poll
    • Police Appeal Ajiran Businessman’s Fundamental Rights Judgement
    • Ikpeshi Elders Petition Edo Governor Over Chieftaincy Dispute, Arrests
    • Ijora Residents In Darkness As Collapsed Crane Injures Three People
    • Lagos Police Arrest 4 Suspected Cultists, Recover Pistol, Live Ammunition
    • Ogun Police Rescue 7 Kidnap Victims, Arrest 38 Suspects
    • Home
    • Human Rights
    • Politics
    • The Judiciary
      • From The Court
    • Health
    • Sport
    • Opinion
    • Entertainment
    Casefile NigeriaCasefile Nigeria
    Subscribe
    Thursday, August 20
    • Home
    • Human Rights
    • Politics
    • The Judiciary
      • From The Court
    • Health
    • Sport
    • Opinion
    • Entertainment
    Home»Top Stories

    Kogi State Government Demands Apology From EFCC Over Unwarranted Persecution

    FunkeBy FunkeOctober 15, 2021 Top Stories No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Kogi State Government on Friday said the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission must apologise for “embarrassing” the state by dragging it to court over a N20 billion bail-out fund.

    Earlier today, the commission had told the a Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi that it was no longer interested in pursuing the case after the state government had given its commitment to return the money to the Central Bank of Nigeria.

    Demand for apology according to the Commissioner for Information, Hon. Kingsley Fanwo, was made at the presentation of awards to senior journalists that participated in the GYB Essay Competition for Nigeria’s Political and Crime Editors in Lagos.

    Hon. Fanwo noted that it was unfortunate that the commission ignored thorough explanations by the state government on the matter but chose to heed allegations from “hired guns.”

    He added that it was unfortunate that the Commission chose to believe allegations that it fixed N19 billion out of the money in a new generation bank.

    He challenged the commission to exhibit professionalism in its affairs, noting, however, that the state government had yet to receive details of the judgement.

    He declared that the state government would address the media after receiving the Certified True Copy of the judgement.

    The commission withdrew the suit seeking the forfeiture of N20billion bailout funds granted to the Kogi State Government by a new generation bank.

    The money, which was meant for the payment of Kogi workers, was alleged to have been domiciled in an interest-yielding account with the bank by officials of the state government.

    Justice Chukwujekwu Aneke granted the order of withdrawal on Friday sequel to a motion filed and argued by EFCC counsel, Mr. Kemi Pinheiro, SAN, leading Mr. Rotimi Oyedepo.

    Pinheiro listed six grounds upon which the judge granted the prayer, adding that “the EFCC is a responsible body”.

    One of the grounds was that questions resulting in the commencement of the suit had been clarified, and an intention had been shown to return the sum of N19,333,333,333.36 to the Central Bank of Nigeria.

    Funke

    Keep Reading

    Lagos Police Command Arrests Suspected Vandals In Connection With Vandalism Of Coastal Road, Third Mainland Bridge

    Ocean Surge Disaster: 20 Ilaje Communities Threaten 2027 Election Boycott Over Government Neglect

    Coalition Demands Immediate Visa Ban On Fadahunsi, Other Alleged Inciters Ahead Of Osun Poll

    Police Appeal Ajiran Businessman’s Fundamental Rights Judgement

    Ikpeshi Elders Petition Edo Governor Over Chieftaincy Dispute, Arrests

    Ijora Residents In Darkness As Collapsed Crane Injures Three People

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    • EDITORS PICKS

    Lagos Police Command Arrests Suspected Vandals In Connection With Vandalism Of Coastal Road, Third Mainland Bridge

    August 20, 2026

    Lagos Police Arrest 4 Suspected Cultists, Recover Pistol, Live Ammunition

    August 10, 2026

    Ogun Police Rescue 7 Kidnap Victims, Arrest 38 Suspects

    August 10, 2026

    Oyo School Kidnap: Court Jails Three Terror Convicts For Life

    July 23, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    EPOST

    Lagos Police Command Arrests Suspected Vandals In Connection With Vandalism Of Coastal Road, Third Mainland Bridge

    August 20, 2026

    Ocean Surge Disaster: 20 Ilaje Communities Threaten 2027 Election Boycott Over Government Neglect

    August 13, 2026

    Coalition Demands Immediate Visa Ban On Fadahunsi, Other Alleged Inciters Ahead Of Osun Poll

    August 13, 2026

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.